Friday, November 11, 2005

Working for five months

This coming Sunday marks my fifth month at IME. Good news? Seven more months and I can go. Bad News? What can be more usual, I realise that not much work has been done.

I realize that I have been put in charge of a project as it is still in the exploration stage. I heard from one of my supervisors that this is what they usual do to new PhD students. I wonder how the PhDs students cope with this situation. Do they really come out with a full iterinary on what they are going to do. Or are they as lost as me? Or do they get some help from their supervisors.? I heard that some supervisors are actually kind of ignorant about what exactly is going on and it is really e students who are doing teh work. So am I suppose to come out with the road map on my own? I feel like a one-eye turtle floating around in an ocean looking for a piece of log to hold on to. To grab on to something that will give me an idea of how my future will lead.

So after letting me float around for like three months, they decided to introduce a log into the picture. He has a lot of experience in bio-detection stuff and he should be a great guy to work with. But he seems to belittle every thing that i say. Hmm... and then the next day, he realize that I am not totally wrong and he comes out with an answer that will make me 70% wrong and him 100% percent right.

I wonder whether this is the right log for this turtle. Indeed the turtle has to figure out soon. Sometimes I wish I can be put into a smaller pond with some logs already so that I will not be so lost. But I heard that it is good to be swimming in a big pool. The bigger the better.

Hahaa... or should I say that i am the hamster who has been walking aimlessly through the maze that the psychologist creates. And just when the hamster is seeing something, suddenly the maze change again. This is the usual conditioning experiment in biology. But I am suppose to be smarter than a hamster so mebe I will find the exit sooner this time.

Mebe the hamster is not really unhappy with the change in maze.

1 Comments:

Blogger Yifan said...

Well you're not alone... I'm in an ocean with a few nanologs to cling on to. Each nanolog provides a nanonewton of buoyancy, and ain't very gd for support. But they always point in the same direction, and are very good at indicating to me where I should go. Just not so good at telling me how to get there!

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home