Tuesday, March 20, 2007

About 90s Chinese Music

I remembered when I was in my teens. My parents always say "Nowadays singers do not know how to sing. At our time, singers have really good voices. Now it is all about looks."

Hmm... I dun remember arguing with them. Cos from my understanding at their generation, singers have to sing with a band and record the song from there. Hence if the singer does not sing well, the whole band will scold her or him. Therefore all the singers are really good and must be able to record the song really fast and good.

She said that in my generation, singers are based on looks. I think I also sort of agreed. Cos when I look at Andy Lau and Leon Lai, I think looks really play a huge role.

But as I think about it in year 2007. I realize I am about to say the same thing too. Except that I am going to say this to the teens now. My parents once told me that the songs in the 90s are not good and they will not be remembered once the singers grew old. But as I youtube today. I actually feel quite proud. If my mum says her generation has Teresa Teng, at least I can say that my generation has Faye Wong. If she brings out her fav singer of ballads, Fei Fuqing, at least I can say I have Jeff Chang and I am sure she will agree with me that Jeff Chang sings really well. And we have many more good singers. Jacky Chang, Emil Chau.

Even the singers who are just known mostly for looks in the 90s seems to be singing so well as compared to some singers now. Yes... a lot of people thinks Guo Fuchen cannot sing well. But he has the ability to captivatethe audience with his dancing. And even till now people like to inimate the way he sings and speaks. ( I dun remember anyone ever trying to inimate the way F4 sing)

So I am glad. That at least as I think about the songs that accompany me through my teens, I feel that they have not let me down. They are beautiful and fantastic.

I really hope that the as the teens today reach my age, they can say the same thing bah.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I am sure your Dad probabaly got stick from his Dad for listening to trash.

My kids will probably get stick from me for listening to trash... while they continue to roll their eyes skywards and pump up their iPod everytime I put my favourite CD on...

There is this song "The Living Years" by Mike and the Mechanics that goes "... Every generation blames the one before..."

To that, I'll add, every generation of music doesn't come close to the one before.

Imagine the fun (and of course pain and angst) future music historians will have... a new genre once every couple of years. Thank goodness I am not a music scholar or historian in A.D. 2200... or any historian for that matter... but then again, she probably can download everything into her brain while riding the T... assuming we still need the T.

8:58 AM  
Blogger wispie said...

eh if the future generation can say that to teh next it would mean that the sad fact of music degeneration still persists. not good right? haha

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home